Friday, October 28, 2005

no laser vision for me

Well, I had my consultation this morning at Lasik MD in hopes of finding out if I'm a candidate for laser eye surgery. Well, it turns out that I'm not like the average population. You see most people have corneas that are about 540 microns thick. But mine are only 462 and 470 microns thick respectively. They even tested the size twice (once with the machine and then, the other manuallly using a little Ultrasound probe that they put right on my eye after giving me some numbing drops).

The optometrist (girl I knew who is a friend of a friend) was very honest with me. She basically said that if they were her eyes, she wouldn't do it.

This isn't to say that I can't do the procedure at all. I could get it done and use the newer PRK method which hurts a bit more, involves more follow up but has the same excellent results in the end. It just seems like it might be a bit too much to go through at this stage.

She was also saying that the technology is continually improving so it's not 100% that I'll never be able to have this procedure done. There might be a time in the future when the technology improves that I'll be able to get the surgery done. Perhaps in the future they won't cut the cornea as much?

So, back to glasses and contacts. I did find out that my perscription has actually improved since my last one so I will be getting some new glasses and contacts I think. We'll see how that goes...

On to the weekend!!!

No comments: