Saturday, December 31, 2005

wanted to update but just didn't find the time

In the past week, there have been several times where I've said "I'll blog about that" but not once have I actually done anything about it. Now it's tough to remember everything that has happened of late.

I think the most notable thing is conquering my stupid fear. The day was December 28, 2004. The scene was Blue Mountain for Snowboarding. The time was about 2:30 pm in the afternoon. As we were going up one of the chairlifts just joking around as usual, Etch, Tom, Rachel, JLo and I were having a good day. Then, at the top of the hill, I promptly took a huge spill after getting off the chair lift. Stupid Blue Mountain doesn't clean the area under their chairlifts and that particular chair exit is so steep AND icy. Anyway, I fell. I twisted my knee and it turns out that I actually tore my MCL in my left knee. I was rolling around in pain and couldn't put wait on it. Etch thought I was crying wolf and kept telling me to get my ass up but I couldn't. In the end I had to go down in the snow stretcher, strapped in and pulled by some ski patroller on skis... It was quite the site I'm told. Thank god no cameras were present.

So, this time around, it was the same day. December 28, 2005. Same chair lift and actually worse conditions cause it was rainy and gross. Well, I got off the chair lift fine and had a day of snowboarding without any issues.

So, I am over it. And I guess I'll see how the next time goes. Stupid Blue Mountain! Take that.

What else can I tell you about? Well, my friend Sam (originally from Sydney, OZ and now living in London, UK came to visit for about 4 days. She was here from Monday the 26th until Friday the 30th. It was a lot of fun hanging out and totally a last minute kinda trip that actually worked out perfectly. My friends took such good care of her and made her trip that much more fun and gave her that much more of a "localized" experience as opposed to a touristy time. While she was here, we partied for Kristian's bday on Monday night, had Dim Sum and did some shopping on Tuesday. Saw the Toronto Marlies play some AHL hockey on Tuesday night. Went snowboarding on Wednesday. Then, she went to Niagara Falls all day on Thursday and at night, she met up with my friends Cris, Cam and Hedia (and their posse) and they had a girls night in Toronto. Friday she got a great tour of the city (thanks Cam) and then we met up for a late lunch on Baldwin before going to the airport. All in all, Sam said she had a GREAT time so I'm glad we were able to show her nice the city is. Although we didn't see the sun or any blue skies at all (until her last day).

This week, I've done a little shopping and going around the city (kinda touristy things). A couple major things stood out. FIRST and FOREMOST - WHY DON'T THEY PUT LIGHTS ON THE CN TOWER DURING THE HOLIDAYS??? I really don't get it. The structure is totally unique and could totally be set out among the skyline (even if it was just for a week or two). Did they used to do that? I am totally sure that they did when I was a kid. Also, my parents and I went driving around downtown on Christmas Day (in the evening). It was so dead and there weren't many lights or anything anywhere. Also, it didn't seem like there were too many people out. I was surprised cause if you go to cities like New York or Chicago - so many people are out and about at Time Square or Navy Pier or something.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't speak to the latest shooting in Toronto that occured on Boxing Day. It's just the latest in a string of violence that has continued all year long. I think the reason this is getting so much more attention because it was an innocent bystandard and I'm sorry to say - but she was an attractive blond white girl. More people definitely take notice once it's someone outside of the gangs that are killing each other. One thing that I just don't get is - WHY ARE JAIL SENTENCES SO LIGHT? WHY CAN SOMEONE ON A GUN RELATED CRIME GET OFF ON BAIL WITHIN A WEEK? What is the motivation for Politicians to allow criminals/gang members, etc who use guns to get off so easy? I just don't understand why there aren't tougher rules and laws. Over the next few days/weeks (and definitely tonight for NYE) we'll see a bulked up police presence. Let's see how long that continues. I'm sure it won't be long enough.

So, 2006 is only 9 hours away. Pretty crazy how quickly the years go by. 2K6 is gonna be a great and exciting year for me. I can't wait to see how it goes! I'll keep you all posted about my plans...

Cheers to everyone for a safe and happy new year.

No comments: