Tuesday, June 18, 2002

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls...I am back online.

Did you miss me? Probably not cause you never really became accustomed to me being around but I am going to be better at this whole "webpage" thing now that I am back.

The trip was fantastic. One of those life changing experiences actually. I feel like a new and energized person and I am excited to see how I react and respond to all the new situations ahead of me. The trip overall was well deserved, very much needed and thoroughally enjoyed. If I was to do it again, I would go solo and I would have visited less countries. That being said, since time was of the essense, I still managed to do/see so much and never did I feel completely overwhelmed. When I did, I just rested up and curled up with my book. Speaking of which...Memoirs of a Geisha was FANTASTIC. The Alchemist (I am reading right now) is pretty good too. I don't know if I want to write too much more about the trip right now cause all of my long-winded e-mails over the past 7 weeks pretty much summed it up for me.

What I will talk about is convocation and the great time that I had there and at Summerfest. It's strange cause Convocation felt like complete closure. It was one of those bittersweet times cause it was full of joy and elation coupled with a hint of sadness. I'm sure that that is probably the last time I will see some people...not too sad about that though cause those are probably people that I didn't hang out with that much anyway. What I am sad about though is that some of the people I am close with probably eventually drift away...that always seems to happen. We'll all try our best to avoid it though. Convocation was surprisingly fun and not that boring (although, that first speech was a bit out of place). Globus as the Mace bearer was a great touch....just the perfect way to put our "Sci-Bus" stamp on Convocation Day. I just read Tchao's site and can't help but think about Kapilan as well. I never knew him as well and it's a shame that I didn't get to know him better seeing as he lived so close and we were in the same program. I still remember coming back from India that winter (Jan 98) to find out that some of my friends thought I had been killed (because they didn't know who the "Indian kid from Scarborough that was in Science and Business at UW" was). Scary thought indeed. I don't really know what else to say cause I don't totally know how to deal with death...

No comments: