Monday, June 21, 2004

Another Excellent Weekend (well, almost)

I was dragonboating for most of this weekend at the Toronto International Dragonboat festival on Toronto Centre Island. My team did really well in both of our final races on Sunday. We won our E division final by about 2 100ths of a second. So that made us overall 25th place out of about 150 Community boats (so that was pretty good). Then, about an hour later - we won the Education Cup race as well (so we had two wins and some hardware to show for a successful weekend). I am paddling stroke in this boat and I think it's really helping me feel the water and understand the little nuances and changes I've gotta make while paddling. Special congrats go out to Cristine's team (Tempest). They were the overall A division Community Champions. They had an amazing race where their final surge took them just over the line right before the Hammerheads.

You can check out all the races results here. I was in race 88 and 96 on Sunday.

After the races, I went to a party on the Island at the restaurant for teams who wanted to stay and have a good time. There were quite a few people there and we definitely had a great time. Food was crap and overpriced. Drinks were expensive too. But, I was hanging out with a bunch of cool people from another crew and we had an excellent time nonetheless.

Saturday was spent racing in the morning but in the afternoon/evening - I went to the company golf tournament and it was a complete flop. The woman from the office that normally handles these types of events was not around so someone else took over for her - it just wasn't the same unfortunately. We were so delayed cause the foursomes in front of us were BRUTALLY slow. It was a scramble (best ball format) and they still sucked. The prizes were lame (to say the least) and I didn't get a single one. What ever happened to everyone at the company tournament gets a prize. Food was sub par (as usual as mass dinner functions). Drinks/snacks on the course were OVERpriced. Overall, not a fun time. I wish I had stayed at the island to watch DB races and play some Vball.

Happy father's day pops...

Have a good week everyone.

No comments: