Thursday, June 17, 2004

Don't know what to call this one...

That bastard Michael Briere was sentenced to an automatic life sentence with no chance for parole for 25 years today. He, if you remember, is the @$$hole that murdered Holly Jones. Here is the victim-impact statement by Maria Jones, Holly Jones' mother, read out today in court after Michael Briere pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the girl's sex slaying:

May 12th 2003 at approximately 6:30 p.m. our daughter was unwillingly taken away from us and murdered. Since this day, our lives have changed forever.

It would be impossible for me, as Holly's mother, to express in a short period of time, how this has so impacted our family. It is also very difficult to express the pain that now lives inside of us, the torture of having to wake up every morning, the torture of the emptiness that we now live with in our home. You can only try to imagine the nightmare. The agony of having to see her bedroom door reminding us that her bed will always stay empty. The family pictures that hang throughout our home is just another painful reminder of knowing that there will never be another family picture to add to our collection, a reminder of where she is and how she got there. Never to hear her say the words ``Mommy" or "I Love You" ever again.

This person that appears in court today has affected all of our family's hearts in a way no one can imagine. I live with a fear that surrounds me day after day.

It is complete agony to know that Holly's brother and sister will also have to live with this nightmare for the rest of their lives. My children now have different parents. I am unable to be the mother they once knew. It is a daily struggle and fight to continue as a mother. But my children are the reason why I felt I must keep on going.

I have many beautiful memories of Holly and clearly remember her most beautiful smile. However my memory is now distorted. Our last memory of Holly is of her lying in her coffin knowing that her body parts were there, however her legs were missing.

I know that I will never attend another funeral, a christening or a child's birthday party. Some of my very good friends have children that were Holly's close friends. It is very difficult to see them now knowing that we will never get together as a family anymore. You could only imagine that agony of our own family functions and to see and hear Holly's cousins. It especially breaks my heart to see my 10-year-old niece, her distraught face when looking at me, both painfully so aware of the absence that surrounds us.

Mother and Father's Day will never be the same. There is a sickness that now lives inside my stomach, pain that lives in my heart, horror in my mind and a hell that surrounds my body. We know that we will never get that complete feeling of happiness again. This person has made us suffer for the rest of our lives. Sadness will now live with us forever.

There can be no closure for us here today. We will always continue to think of Holly every waking moment. Our hope is that Holly's tragic death will be not an end, but a beginning. Our demand is that Holly's life and legacy will live on long past this day.

No comments: