Friday, June 18, 2004

election funnies

So, where do I start telling this story? As Canadians now - we are in the process of a Federal Election right now. In my riding (Agincourt East is the name I think), the incumbant for at least 10 - 15 years has been Jim Karygiannis (sp?) from the Liberal party. This year, he is getting some heavy competition by some Andrew Faust guy (Conservative candidate) as are many Liberals around the country.

On Tuesday of this week, I was working from home and some Liberal rep came by asking if they could count on our support. I told them that I was undecided. He then asked me if they could put their sign on our lawn. Again, I said I'm undecided and I thought are you deaf buddy?.

The next day (Wednedsay), my father told me that Jim Karygiannis the candidate himself came to the door. Dad was on the phone in the kitchen so he didn't have much time so they spoke for about a minute. Jim asked if he could count on our support. Again, my dad said that he is undecided. Jim then asked about the sign and again my dad said, "No, we are undecided". Then, Jim proceeded to "beg" and I'm not kidding when I say beg. He must have said "please, please" so many times (at least 5 or 6) and he was trying to plead with my dad to put this sign on the lawn. Jim said things like "It's a major street - it would really help us out because there is a lot of traffic, etc". My dad finally gave the standard..."Let me think about it and if I want to, I'll call your office."

That night (still Wednesday), my dad was going for his usual walk. He was about 15 minutes away in another subdivision still very close by. As he was walking down the street, who does he see canvassing up ahead? Of course, it's Jim Karygiannis again. Jim was going door to door interupting people during their dinner. As he passed my dad, he must have thought this was some guy who lives in the neighbourhood going for a walk so he proceeded to ask if he could count on dad's support, etc. He wanted to know where dad lived. Dad said "close by". All in all, he totally didn't recognize my father (and it was only about 4 hours since they had met at my house). I just can't believe that a politician, whose job it is to meet people and work for the people didn't recognize my father after only about 4 hours. I don't care how many people he met during that time - that is just stupid.

Then, the kicker. I'm working from home again today. It's Friday. ARound 2:00 pm this afternoon, I hear some banging outside. My dad and i look outside and see these two guys hammering a big Jim Karygiannis sign on our lawn. What the hell are they doing? I went outside and I said that we hadn't authorized that. I told them to take it down. They said that our address was on their list. And I said that we didn't saw yes to anything. They took it down and left.

I was just thinking though that this guy is truely an idiot. As a politician running for office, who acts like that? Begging and lying to get your sign up on someone's lawn? I guess that is a common trait among many politicians though, eh? Anyway, it should be an interesting completion to the election race.

No comments: