Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

So, I'm in Regina right now. Got here yesterday morning at around 10:45 am. Was supposed to be here just for the day for some business meetings. I was having lunch yesterday afternoon when my cellphone rang. It was "Kevin" from Air Canada. I thought it was a joke at first but he proceeded to tell me that due to the horrible weather in the Maritimes, the Winnipeg Airport was closed.

I was supposed to fly to Winnipeg yesterday afernoon at 5:00 pm but now, that wasn't going to happen. So, they booked me on a flight this morning at 5:45 am and I was to find accomodations for the night. I stayed at the Delta hotel last night. Once I checked in, I was thinking about it and realized that I didn't want to take such an early flight so I called our office travel centre and they switched me to a 7:20 am Westjet flight. I had some room service, worked out and caught up on some work. I was in bed late (by 12:30) and up early (5:00 am).

This morning, I got up at 5:15 am. Left the hotel by 6:00 am and was at the airport by about 6:15 am. I checked into my flight and they warned us that the weather in Winnipeg hadn't improved and if we were diverted while in air, we might end up in Saskatoon which really wouldn't be any improvement over my current situation. So, I checked into the flight. Got on and we were sitting there listening to the Westjet humour that goes on when they do their safety announcement, etc. Then, the captain comes over the loudspeaker and says "Sorry to inform you that the Winnipeg Airport is closed again". So we had to get off the plane and wait around for an hour until they gave us an update. 20 minutes later, we were told that the flight was cancelled and now, we were being put on a 10:57 am flight to Calgary and then re-routed to Winnipeg to arrive at 4:00 pm.

I decided I didn't like that plan and instead switched back to Air Canada so I could get on the 9:45 am flight direct to Winnipeg. It was fully booked so I only got a Standby ticket. Since I am not an Elite member or anything special, I was low on the standby list so there wasn't going to be much of a chance of getting on the flight. Instead, I got confirmed on the 5:00 pm flight this afternoon. So, I went to the gate, waited and around 9:15 am, it was announced that the 9:45 am flight was now cancelled. So, everyone was rushing to try and get on the 5:00 pm flight but luckily, I already had a ticket saved.

So, I've been sitting in the caf (still am), eating some food from time to time and really just doing work. They have wireless internet access here which is great so I can get work done and connect to VPN.

What a day it's been overall. By the end of it all, I'll have been here in the Regina airport for close to 11 hours. Man, that's just crazyness. All my coworkers that I'm talking to that are already in Winnipeg are telling me that it's pretty bad over there. I am really kinda dreading heading over there tonight. We'll see how it goes. Could be a scary flight/landing...

No comments: