Sunday, August 25, 2002

The last week has been pretty hectic. I have become a Toronto Commuter. By that I mean that I am out of the house everyone morning by about 6:55 am and I arrive at the office by about 7:45. I then work out in the gym most mornings for about an hour. After that, I take a shower and get ready for a long day at the office. I get to my desk (actually, I don’t' have a desk yet and I am squatting at someone's who is away on vacation for 2 weeks) and turn on my laptop and begin the day. It goes strong with meetings, projects, etc. Then, before I know it, it is about 6:45 pm and it's time for me to leave so I pack up and I am back on the highway by about 7:00 pm getting home by about 7:45.

12 hours…just like that!

Needless to say that my days are pretty long but I am not complaining because I am busy, I am learning, I am meeting tones of people and I am enjoying myself. Can't really ask for more than that, can you?

Saw Signs on Friday night. I thought it was a good movie. Shayamalan is a very good director. His foreshadowing is great and he makes the story flow nicely. This movie was also good because there was a tint of humour as well (the aluminum foil scenes). You wanna know something silly? In the scene where they are showing Mexican TV footage and in the final scene when Mel Gibson's brother "swings it", I actually had pins and needles all over my body because of what was on the screen. It was a weird feeling. I was actually sitting there in my seat at the theatre and I was kind of freaked out. That is what made that movie so enjoyable! I also saw Blackhawk Down last night. That movie was pretty good too and the thing that I really liked was that it wasn't as American as I was expecting. With Jerry Bruckheimer - I was expecting crazy huge explosions and US flags everywhere. I had the crazy explosions all over but there was actually fewer American propaganda than I expected. The story was actually pretty good too. Unfortunately I am pretty ignorant about the entire Somalian civil war that occurred in 1993 (and is probably still occurring now) so I didn't know how accurate the story was. War strategy is pretty intricate but when Americans or other peace keepers go into these foreign lands to do their thing, all strategy is thrown right out the window because the people they meet on the other side (whether it is Africa, Afghanistan, India, Pakistan or China) are in such large numbers and are looking to kick some ass.

This weekend was pretty good. Friday night after Signs, I went out for dinner with Cristine at a Chinese restaurant in Mississauga. It was really funny cause Cristine asked the waitress for "another menu" in Mandarin. Sure enough, she came back with a different menu that was for Chinese people as opposed to the "generic white Chinese food menu" they had given us at first (all because of me probably). The "secret menu" actually was quite different and we found some good stuff on it. Ashvin had a bbq at his place yesterday so that was fun. Most of the Marathi posse was there which made for good times. Then today, Ashvin, G and I went golfing at an executive par 3 course in Unionville. It started out really poorly but by the end, my wedge and 9 were hitting really well and I was totally getting under the ball almost all the time. Right now (and for the last 7 hours or so), my neighbours are having this huge cookout in their backyard. They are playing some wicked hip hop, soca, calypso and funky beat music. This one guy has been cooking on the grill for easily about 6 hours. He is right in there marinating, making the fire bigger and tasting the meat. It all looks really good and there are a ton of people that seem to be enjoying themselves. Some cute girls are there too so that is always a good thing.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. I'll keep this story short but it was very very very frustrating and made me very angry. Last Tuesday during my drive home from work, I got cut off by this chump in a little white Civic. I slammed on my horn for about 15 seconds or so while I was right on his ass. I waved at him through my windshield cause I wanted to make sure he knew what he did was wrong. He was oblivious to the whole thing and proceeded to go to the centre lane where he thought he was gonna overtake some slowpokes. I stayed in the right and ended up passing him so when I did, I gave him the stare and left it at that. Then as I was driving along, he managed to catch up I guess and overtook me now on the left. But as he was doing that, he was swearing and giving me the finger (among other things). He caught me so off guard and I was so shocked that he did that. What a complete ASSHOLE. You know what got me too, he was definitely a father's age. He was an older Sri Lankan gentlemen - probably in his 50's. Man, the never of that punk!

On Thursday, I went on my very first Toronto Harbour Boat Cruise. It was a work sponsored event with an open bar and great food right on one of the tall ships called Kajama. We cruised around the harbour for about 4 hours and it was getting pretty cold by the end but it was so worth it. I had such a good time and it was really beautiful. The Toronto skyline is fantastic. We just have to get something done with that damn waterfront and then we'll be the bomb. Mingling with work people that night was interesting and it is usually interesting in general. Some of them are really awesome and no matter how much I know them through work, I can still chill with them and have a good time. Conversations with others though, damn that is like pulling teeth.

I'll leave you with one final question. Recently I have been in a debate with someone about what the tallest structure in the world is. It's still the CN Tower right? Followed by the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.

Good night and sorry for the long blog but that's what happened when you haven't written in a while…

No comments: