Sunday, August 11, 2002

Watched American Pie II tonight and I must say that it was a very silly movie. Not that great at all. The first one was so much better. This is probably the case though because it's all the same recycled humour so that is a problem for sure. It just wasn't funny the second time around and if they have an American Pie III, it will be even crappier. I will say however that Eugene Levy's character was priceless...The line of the night "By the way son, don't forget your p$n*s cream."

Went to Denny's for brunch and The Olive Garden for dinner tonight. I am eating out all the time and living the good old American dream. Man, the portions here are so big and there is just everything available. Everything has add-ons and can be supersized. It's kind of scary. Actually, I can see Canada going that way so that is kind of sad but hopefully it'll never get this bad. The thing that does make me laugh though is how well any product with "diet", "light" or "fat free" on it sells. All the guys here drink Miller and Bud "Light." What is up with that? I guess it's that whole psychological thing more than anything but really, the marketing works around these parts. I have seen more obese people here and in Boston in the last two weeks than I had seen in Toronto and Asia for this entire summer. This society is scary because it's all about consumption, consumption, consumption.

Last night started out really fun. We went to the Brewers-Expos baseball game (that the Expos won 11 - 4). We tailgated in the parking lot before the game (just beer, no bbq). That was fun and it was my first time tailgating. Then, we bought some tickets off scalpers who I had the following conversation with...

a: $10 for those tickets, those are junk general reserve uptop!!! We won't buy that crap. Give us 2 for $5
s: No way man, we'll sell these to someone else. Ya'll are cheap mofo's!
a: That crap is just paper man. The game has already started. No one is gonna buy that from you
s: We'll see about that. Look at those people right over there (points in front of him)
a: All right, we'll find someone else (we all start walking)
s: (comes running after us after a minute or two) Okay, okay...1 for $5 - how about that???
a: No, I said 2 for $5
s: All right fine but you guys are cheap!
a: Yeah, well you gotta get rid of that paper because otherwise you ain't getting nothing!

For the entire game, I was getting ribbed (and all week up till then for that matter) about being a Canadian. You know all the Canadian jokes... Anyway, in the ninth inning - Vladimir Guerrero, the right fielder for Montreal hit this wicked line drive home run over centre field. I was jumping up and down cheering really loud and I was definitely the only one in my section cheering (needless to say, I got some dirty looks). Then, to top it all off - I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my Canada Bandana!!! That is right, right there in Miller Park - I was waving my Canada bandana cause the Expos were socking it to the Brewers. My classmates were thrown aback by this display of patriotism and had a slight chuckle. I think that they probably didn't want to admit that they knew me at that time.

Tomorrow morning is the big golf tournament with the boss. Time to kick some butt and show them all the talents that this Canadian boy has...

No comments: