Sunday, October 06, 2002

It's Saturday night in Calgary. I just got home from the Flames-Oilers game at the Saddledome and Nitin's hockey game afterwards. So far, Calgary has been great fun hanging out with Nitin and Manju but it is pretty damn cold here. It was snowing quite a bit this morning at about 8:00 am (luckily I was still sleeping through that). I arrived here last night around 7:00 after taking ZIP Airlines (new Air Canada Discount Fair like Tango) from Winnipeg. The flight was okay but I was fortunate enough to sit beside a couple and their two young children - a 3 year old and a 5 year old. That made for a rather loud and somewhat annoying experience. I tried to sleep but I don't know how effective it was. Last night after coming home and resting up, I went out to Nitin's first hockey game. It was at he Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary campus. Really nice arena inside the speed skating track. There were a bunch of kids taking speed skating lessons and that looked really cool. The game was interesting (actually, quite entertaining). They got smoked (and no better this evening). In defence though, the two teams they played have clearly been playing together for a year or two whereas his team is still trying to figure out each other's styles. This afternoon, Nitin and I went golfing (9 holes here in Calgary). I had a really fun time although, it was a little cold - no more than 4 degrees C (40 degrees F). My putting was totally on today and my 6 iron was absolute money. After golf, we got some McSh*ts (haven't had that in a while) and watched some playoff baseball. The Angels upset the Yankees today (YEAH!) and the Cardinals beat the Diamondbacks. The Twins forced a game 5 tomorrow against Oakland so that should be exciting. Tomorrow - Nitin, Manju and I are thinking of going to Banff so that will be great.

I saw the craziest thing today. While driving on the highway, we overtook two cars:
The first licence plate was NOV 805
The second licence plate was NOV 804

Can you believe that??? Yeah, the little things amuse me.

The rest of my week in Winnipeg last week went well. My work at the Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre all ended up really well and I learned a lot about the products that I will be selling and more importantly, the needs of our customers. I had some great dinners while I was in Winnipeg so that worked out well but I must say that eating out isn't a novelty anymore. In fact, I am getting sick of this whole traveling and eating out all the time routine. I haven't event done it for very long and already, I am complaining. The whole act of eating out isn't cool anymore because it's actually "eating". It's not a new luxury, it is neccesity. And, every meal is usually pretty fatty and processed so you can't be as healthy. Also - staying in hotels has lots it's lustre...it just ain't as comfortable as home. One thing that I did discover was that the nightlife in Winnipeg is pretty crappy. On Thursday, I tried 5 different places and found nothing so I was back at the hotel and in bed by about 11:45 pm.

Speaking of bed, I should make my way there...big day ahead of me tomorrow.
Goodnight.

No comments: