Monday, February 23, 2004

Winterlude

The weekend in Ottawa was great. I went up with about 15 other peeps including other bloggers like kevin, tai and the rest of the waterloo sci/bus posse (and others).

The TSN highlight of the weekend was definitely Friday night. After arriving around 7:30 pm, we all met up for dinner. Went to an Indian buffet (no that was definitley not the highlight). After dinner, the guys decided to play a game of shinny at Byron's place. There were 8 of us in total (including Jen) but we had some problems. We only had 5 sticks. And I didn't have skates. So the quest to find me some skates was upon us. We asked around (among friends of friends) but it was 10:30 pm on Friday night so that wasn't really gonna happen. We were chatting with the girl at the front desk of the hotel asking her if anyone rented skates that late. It turns out that no one does. But she was really nice and offered her skates. That's right she offered to lend me her skates for the evening. Now, you might be wondering - "she" lended you her skates? Well - what did they look like???

I thought you'd never ask. They were molded white skates with pink trim. Size 7 women. They had no laces - just velcro. They were so old skool. Wow - that was quite an event. I've got pics but don't know how to post to my site yet. Kevin and Tai will probably have pictures soon so you can see it there...(refer to previous links). They even had a white and pink carrying bag. I didn't last long in those skates cause they were scrunching my feet. I ended up getting Vi's skates half way through cause he didn't want to play anymore.

Skating that night on the outdoor rink was amazing. We shoveled it off (using the nets, our sticks and a big wooden board). The ice was so smooth. There were nets and boards. It was perfect. As we were playing from 12:30 am - 2:30 am, it was lightly snowing as well. The weather was perfect - it was just such a great experience. Truly Canadian.

I definitely need to buy some skates...

The other highlight of the weekend was the Moroccan restaurant we visited for dinner on Saturday night. There was a buffet and the food was quite yummy - hummus, taboule, other dishes with middle eastern and indian touches...overall very good. There was a belly dancer as well and man she was in good shape. She could move like no buddy's business. I danced with her at one point and probably looked like an idiot. I was trying to bust out some bhangra moves but I think I just made myself look stupider. I can't shake it like her...that's for sure.

Overall - an excellent weekend. Special thanks to Cris for organzing. Also to Art, Mike, Kevin and Tai for driving. Jen - thanks for using your points to donate us the hotel room.

I'm looking forward to the next "road trip"...

No comments: