Sunday, January 18, 2004

Iron Chef
I hosted a dinner party for 7 people last night. I was in the kitchen preparing and cooking from 9:30 am until 6:00 pm. I made a full Marathi dinner from scratch (other than one thing - the chapathis). It all turned out pretty well. Here was the menu:

1) Homemade Yogurt - dhai for you Marathi's out there
2) Cucumber Raita
3) Baighan Bhartha (eggplant, tomatoes, onions)
4) Chole (chick peas, tomatoes, onions)
5) Chawli Usal (black eyed peas, tomatoes, onions, green peas for a twist)
6) Tandoori Chicken
7 Waran (lentil soup)
8) Basmathi Rice

4) and 5) were both really good dishes and I was quite happy with them. I wasn't too fond of the texture of 3) and 6) became too dry. The taste of the chicken was really good cause I marinated it for almost 24 hours but the problem with chicken is that it dries out so easily. I was really impressed with 1) cause I've never made homemade yogurt before but now that I have - it's an absolute piece of cake. I'll definitely attempt that again.

This was the first time I cooked for so many people but it was definitely a really awesome treat and I can't wait to host my next dinner party. What's on the menu that time? Perhaps some Thai or maybe Mexican.

No comments: